Today, we conclude Free Speech Week with Cato articles and blog posts about a variety of current events:
- “ ‘Teachable Moment’ Missed Lesson on Free Speech,” by Nat Hentoff. This article appeared in Metro West Daily News on August 6, 2009. Hentoff comments on the missed lesson on free speech in regard to the media frenzy over Sgt. James Crowley’s arrest of Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates Jr.
- Cato Daily Podcast: “Chick‐Fil‐A Fracas,” July 31, 2012. “Is the speech of a corporate CEO grounds for punishing the company with delayed or denied permits they otherwise would’ve gotten? Cato Institute’s Senior Fellow Tom Palmer says no; he argues that the politicians threatening Chic‐Fil‐A should retract what they’ve said and apologize for threatening the company.”
- “False Statements, Free Speech, and Sniper Fire,” posted by Tim Lynch, March 29, 2011.
- “When ‘Free Speech’ as a Concept Vanishes,” posted by Julian Sanchez, September 19, 2012.
- Cato Institute senior fellow Nat Hentoff has a few thoughts on disclosure and the jurisprudence of Clarence Thomas.
- “Knox v. SEIU: An Important Free Speech Victory,” posted by Trevor Burrus June 21, 2012.
- “ObamaCare’s Threat to Free Speech,” posted by Michael Cannon, September 13, 2010.