In his oval office speech, President Trump had this to say about immigrants:
This is a humanitarian crisis — a crisis of the heart and a crisis of the soul. Last month, 20,000 migrant children were illegally brought into the United States — a dramatic increase. These children are used as human pawns by vicious coyotes and ruthless gangs. One in three women are sexually assaulted on the dangerous trek up through Mexico. Women and children are the biggest victims, by far, of our broken system. This is the tragic reality of illegal immigration on our southern border. This is the cycle of human suffering that I am determined to end.
Here’s what his administration is doing to protect these women and children:
- Turning them away from official ports of entry, which—according to the DHS Inspector General report (and common sense)—leads people to cross illegally.
- Forcing them to stay homeless and starving in Mexico which is seeing massive uncontrolled killing and where Trump says that migrants will be assailed on all sides by gangs and predators.
- Getting the Mexican government to evict those camped near U.S. bridges.
- Prosecuting Americans who leave water in the desert for crossers—thousands of whom have died of dehydration.
- Arresting family members of children who had planned to accept them into their homes in the United States.
Previously, the administration had separated women from their children in order to criminally prosecute them for entering the country illegally.