Over at Downsizing Government, we focused on the following issues this week:
- Another example of cost overruns and mismanagement in government. This time it's the National Archives.
- President Obama will release his budget blueprint for fiscal 2012 next week. If an op-ed penned by his budget director is any indication, the administration intends to continue fiddling while the government’s finances burn.
- End, don't mend, the dozens of wasteful federal job training programs.
- With House Republicans and the White House proposing tiny cuts, get ready for a barrage of slasher stories in the press. Readers are invited to submit the best (worst?) "slasher story" they come across.
- Vice President Joe Biden's recent pitch for high-speed rail brings to mind the classic Simpsons episode in which a con-man convinces the town’s residents to waste money on an exciting-sounding high-speed train that turns out to be a boondoggle. Watch the clip and judge for yourself.