Over at Downsizing Government, we focused on the following issues this week:
- Another example of cost overruns and mismanagement in government. This time it’s the National Archives.
- President Obama will release his budget blueprint for fiscal 2012 next week. If an op‐ed penned by his budget director is any indication, the administration intends to continue fiddling while the government’s finances burn.
- End, don’t mend, the dozens of wasteful federal job training programs.
- With House Republicans and the White House proposing tiny cuts, get ready for a barrage of slasher stories in the press. Readers are invited to submit the best (worst?) “slasher story” they come across.
- Vice President Joe Biden’s recent pitch for high‐speed rail brings to mind the classic Simpsons episode in which a con‐man convinces the town’s residents to waste money on an exciting‐sounding high‐speed train that turns out to be a boondoggle. Watch the clip and judge for yourself.