Over at Downsizing Government, we focused on the following issues this week:
- In the short-lived Depression of 1920-21, federal spending was dramatically reduced and prosperity followed.
- The Congressional Budget Office’s long-term budget projections show that unless Washington changes course, the interest on the debt alone will consume 30 percent of the economy by 2080.
- Federal spending on K-12 education has been a failure. It's well past time to abolish the Department of Education.
- There's nothing happy about Tax Day.
- If the exploding debt is to be brought under control, policymakers are going to have to rein in entitlement spending.