The Cato Institute’s Impact
For over 30 years, the Cato Institute has worked to change the climate of ideas. The cumulative effect of this effort is real impact today. Here's how Cato puts Sponsors' contributions to work.
CATO IN THE MEDIA
- Each year, Cato scholars are cited in nearly 4000 news articles, author hundreds of op-eds for national newspapers, and participate in upwards of 2000 broadcast interviews.
- Cato's new Multimedia Center is a state-of-the-art studio for immediate-response broadcasts and original video and audio programming.
- Cato produces at least 40 meticulously researched policy studies per year on key public policy topics, as well as the highly respected Cato Journal and Regulation.
- With sales and distribution of print copies in the tens of thousands, Cato's studies and publications are downloaded from Cato.org more than 3 million times annually.
- Books from the Cato Institute Press have been praised by Nobel Laureates, leading newspapers, professional publications, and readers worldwide.
- 25,000+ participate in Cato's public programs annually — onsite and via Cato.org/live.
- 10,000+ access Cato's online video events archive, YouTube channel, and podcast recordings annually.
HONORING THE CONSTITUTION
- With over six million copies in print, the influence and presence of Cato's acclaimed Pocket Constitution is clear — from press conferences and floor debate to judicial chambers across the country.
- It has also been distributed to service members around the world, and is sold at bookstores nationwide.
- Cato scholars regularly file briefs with the Supreme Court to encourage the Court to interpret and apply the law through the natural rights tradition inherited from the founding generation.
ON THE HILL
- Cato scholars regularly present congressional testimony before legislative committees at the state and federal level.
- Over 1600 legislative staff annually attend Cato Hill Briefings on a wide range of key policy issues.
LEADING THE WAY IN SOCIAL MEDIA
- Cato's ever-expanding Facebook and Twitter communities include nearly 500,000 individuals.
- One of the first think tanks to make podcasts available, Cato has over 14,000 podcast subscribers and thousands of other regular listeners who access Cato's podcast programs through iTunes, and over 20,000 subscribers to Cato's YouTube channel.
- Cato's prestigious and highly selective Internship program draws thousands of applicants each year for the more than 100 available positions.
- Cato continually works to attract and energize liberty-minded young people. In addition to participating in a wide array of programming on campuses across the country, Cato hosts special seminars for students on relevant topics.