Over at Downsizing the Federal Government, we focused on the following issues this past week:
- As Congress scours the budget looking for spending cuts, federal employment and training programs would be good targets.
- If Republican and Democratic lawmakers were really discussing major spending cuts, then the media would be full of stories mentioning particular changes to entitlement laws to reduce benefits and stories about abolishing programs widely regarded as wasteful, such as community development grants.
- Indexing the tax code to the chained Consumer Price Index = stealth tax increase.
- Putting $2 trillion in spending cuts in perspective.
- Not only is individual financial literacy not an appropriate concern of the federal government, but the federal government itself is a monument to financial illiteracy.