Over at Downsizing the Federal Government, we focused on the following issues this week:
- Michael Tanner’s new paper is a sobering reminder that it’s the major entitlement programs that are pushing us toward the cliff’s edge.
- This week the House Republican leadership finally put the Pentagon on the chopping block. However, the cuts suggested by the GOP are pathetic.
- The federal government engages in a lot of activities that are difficult to defend. But when it comes to sugar, the government’s protections are clearly indefensible.
- We’re still looking for a convincing argument as to why farmers deserve taxpayer- and consumer-funded special treatment compared with other businesses.
- Record spending levels…trillion dollar plus deficits…mountainous debt…a weak economy…what, Congress worry?
- Uncle Sam sticks it to the Easter Bunny.