Over at Downsizing the Federal Government, we focused on the following issues this week:
- Unfortunately, the party favored by tea party supporters at the moment has no interest in shuttering the Department of Education.
- Columnist Robert Samuelson is right: the Obama administration’s high-speed rail dreams “represent shortsighted, thoughtless government at its worst.”
- Attention GOP: the electorate wants spending cuts, and they will support the policymakers who take the lead on cuts if they are pursued in a forthright and serious-minded manner.
- New Republican members of Congress will be looking for ways to cut the budget deficit and also to increase economic growth. One way to do both is to privatize government assets.
- Will the House Republican leadership embrace spending cuts proposed by their own members in the conservative Republican Study Committee?