Position Objective/Job Summary
The Senior Accountant is responsible for assisting in the day-to-day accounting function and month end close for this $25 million/year non-profit. With the CFO and Senior Accounting Manager, he/she works to ensure the fiscal health of the organization in support of its mission and fulfill the objectives in its strategic plan.
The Senior Accountant is responsible for the accounts receivable and cash receipts functions, preparing semi-monthly benefit files associated with payroll, monthly bank reconciliations, assisting in the monthly close, and submitting monthly, quarterly, and semi-annually tax payments. He/She must also reconcile donations from organization’s donor database against the general ledger and prepare recurring and ad-hoc journal entries for review and posting by CFO.
The Senior Accountant prepares audit schedules and materials for the annual financial statement and 990, and works to continuously improve financial processes and systems. This position reports to the CFO.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Reviews and records all cash receipts batches for daily check deposits, weekly credit card batch, monthly book fulfillment and subscription sales, and monthly PayPal deposits. Reconciles donations in donor management software to general ledger.
- Prepares and processes weekly outgoing wire transfers.
- Processes semi-monthly benefit files, creates and posts payroll, HSA, and 401k payment and allocation journal entries.
- Reconciles bank accounts and other asset and liability accounts and creates schedules to support journal entries and balances in the general ledger, including prepaids, fixed assets, etc… And maintains paper records for audit.
- Performs month-end closing entries related to investments, depreciation, capital leases, book and merchandise inventory, cost of sales, and corporate credit card allocations.
- Submits monthly, quarterly, semi-annually, and annual tax payments.
- Ensures that established organizational policies are adhered to, including accounting, personnel, and other compliance related policies.
- Assists the CFO and Senior Accounting Manager in the production schedules and documentation for the annual financial statement and 990 with independent certified public accountants.
- Minimum two years of accounting experience, preferably in non-profit organizations.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance. CPA or CPA candidate a plus.
- Experience with accounting software and MS Office is required.
- Experience with Microsoft Dynamics Navision desired.
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Excel; expertise in using pivot tables, building multi-variable financial models, and creating macros a major plus.
- Exposure to software conversions a plus.
- Strong and versatile communication and customer service skills.
- Exceptional organizational skills and ability to multi-task, prioritize, and successfully meet deadlines.
- Ability to work with confidential financial and personnel information.
Cato offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience and an excellent employee benefits package. Cato Institute is an equal opportunity employer.
This position is not eligible for relocation expenses.
Send resume and cover letter, including most recent salary history, to recruitment [at] cato [dot] org.