Over at Downsizing the Federal Government, we focused on the following issues this past week:
- People here in Washington are now considering military spending cuts that they thought strategically unwise and politically impossible just a few years ago. And conservatives are joining in.
- Federally funded spaceflight is the quintessential neoconservative project: a giant, wasteful crusade designed to fill Americans’ supposedly empty lives with meaning.
- The Obama administration wants to send bureaucrats from federal agencies that are notorious for wasting other people’s money to help local bureaucrats do a more “efficient” job of spending other people’s money.
- President Obama’s Fiscal Commission handed Republicans ready‐made spending cuts on a silver platter — Republicans will never get better political cover for insisting on spending cuts than now.
- $500 billion in cuts and a $500 billion debt increase would certainly be better than Senator McConnell’s chicken‐out plan.