Over at Downsizing Government, we focused on the following issues this week:
- You know that California city that recently made national headlines because local government officials were collecting massive six-figure salaries? It turns out that the city has received millions of dollars in federal subsidies over the past five years.
- Money-losing Amtrak plans to purchase 130 rail cars for its money-losing trains. Ah, government rail.
- Voters who are expecting a new Republican congressional majority to downsize government might not want to hold their breath.
- Federal highway financing and control should be devolved to the states and, even better, the private sector.
- The latest federal bailout isn't about "America's children" as White House demagogues claim. Children shouldn't trust strangers with candy --- or Uncle Sam.
Downsizing the Federal Government is also on Facebook. Join us here.