Over at Downsizing Government, we focused on the following issues this week:
- You know that California city that recently made national headlines because local government officials were collecting massive six‐figure salaries? It turns out that the city has received millions of dollars in federal subsidies over the past five years.
- Money‐losing Amtrak plans to purchase 130 rail cars for its money‐losing trains. Ah, government rail.
- Voters who are expecting a new Republican congressional majority to downsize government might not want to hold their breath.
- Federal highway financing and control should be devolved to the states and, even better, the private sector.
- The latest federal bailout isn’t about “America’s children” as White House demagogues claim. Children shouldn’t trust strangers with candy — or Uncle Sam.
Downsizing the Federal Government is also on Facebook. Join us here.