Over at Downsizing Government, we focused on the following issues this week:
- Thanks to the postal unions, the U.S. Postal Service’s utilization of part‐time workers is below UPS, FedEx, and its international counterparts.
- Senate Republicans want agitated voters to view their support for a discretionary spending cap as evidence that the party is serious about out‐of‐control spending and deficits. But capping discretionary spending at the already exorbitant levels that Republicans helped reach isn’t exactly a big reform.
- Republicans and Democrats are both guilty of abusing the “emergency” designation to ram through more spending.
- HUD secretary Shaun Donovan calls public housing a “precious asset.” We’re not joking.
- Does anyone think the White House economic team was going to produce estimates that didn’t show substantial job creation resulting from the stimulus?