A ruling for the challengers in King v. Burwell would have benefits that swamp other effects of the ruling, including:
- More than 67 million Americans would be freed from illegal taxes in the form of ObamaCare’s employer mandate.
- More than 11 million Americans would be freed from an illegal tax averaging $1,200 (i.e., ObamaCare’s individual mandate).
- Affected workers could receive a pay raise of around $900 per year.
- The ruling could create an estimated 237,000 new jobs.
- It could add an estimated 1.3 million workers added to the labor force.
- It could result in more hours and higher incomes for 3.3 million part-time workers.
The number of people who could benefit from a ruling for the challengers is, therefore, more than ten times the number who would lose an illegal subsidy. And, as discussed here, the pool of people who need such subsidies may be as small as one-tenth the number receiving them.
Click here for state-by-state data on the number of employers and taxpayers who would benefit from King v. Burwell.