June 23, 2015 9:46AM

Employment‐​Based Green Cards Are Mostly for Families

The United States’ immigration system favors family reunification – even in the so-called employment-based categories.  The family members of immigrant workers must use employment based green cards to enter the United States.  Instead of a separate green card category for spouses and children, they get a green card that would otherwise go to a worker. 

In 2013, 53 percent of all supposed employment-based green cards went to the family members of workers.  The other 47 percent went to the workers themselves.  Some of those family members are workers, but they should have a separate green card category or be exempted from the employment green card quota altogether. 

Media Name: ebgraph1.jpg

Source: 2013 Yearbook of Immigration Statistics, Author's Calculations



If family members were exempted from the quota or there was a separate green card category for them, an additional 85,232 highly skilled immigrant workers could have entered in 2013 without increasing the quota.

139,757 green card beneficiaries, 87 percent of those who gained an employment-based green card in 2013, were already legally living in the United States.  They were able to adjust their immigration status from another type of visa, like an H-1B or F visa, to an employment-based green card. 

Media Name: ebgraph2.jpg

Source: 2013 Yearbook of Immigration Statistics, Author's Calculations

 

Exempting some or all of the adjustments of status from the green card cap would almost double the number of highly skilled workers who could enter.  Here are some other exemption options:

  • Workers could be exempted from the cap if they have a higher level of education, like a graduate degree or a PhD.
  • A certain number of workers who adjust their status could be exempted in the way the H-1B visa exempts 20,000 graduates of American universities from the cap.
  • Workers could be exempted if they show five or more years of legal employment in the United States prior to obtaining their green card.
  • Workers could be exempted based on the occupation they intend to enter.  This is a problem because in involves the government choosing which occupations are deserving, but so long as it leads to a general increase in the potential numbers of skilled immigrant workers without decreasing them elsewhere, the benefits will outweigh the harms.

 


2013 Employment Based   Green Cards

  EB 1 EB 2 EB 3^ EB 4^ EB 5~   All EB Percent
Workers`

16,225


31,130


20,034


4,673


3,102

 

75,164


46.86%

Workers Adjusted`

15,616


30,484


17,318


4,247


592

 

68,257

 
Workers New Arrivals`

609


646


2,716


426


2,510

 

6,907

 
Family

22,753


31,896


22,931


2,246


5,406

 

85,232


53.14%

Family Adjusted

21,667


30,472


17,403


1,349


609

 

71,500

 
Family New Arrival

1,086


1,424


5,528


897


4,797

 

13,732

 
Adjustment of Status

37,283


60,956


34,721


5,596


1,201

 

139,757


87.13%

New Arrival

1,695


2,070


8,244


1,323


7,307

 

20,639


12.87%

                 
Total

38,978


63,026


42,965


6,919


8,508

 

160,396

 
                 
  EB 1 EB 2 EB 3^ EB 4^ EB 5~      
Workers Adjusted

96.25%


97.92%


86.44%


90.88%


19.08%

     
Worker New Arrivals

3.75%


2.08%


13.56%


9.12%


80.92%

     
                 
Family Adjusted

95.23%


95.54%


75.89%


60.06%


11.27%

     
Family New Arival

4.77%


4.46%


24.11%


39.94%


88.73%

     
*Some data on spouses and children withheld.          
^Some data on spouses, children, and workers withheld.        
`Investors for the EB-5.              
~Some data on spouses, children, and investors withheld.        
Source: 2013 Yearbook of Immigration Statistics