25. Cited in Callahan and Wasunna, Medicine and
334. For example, the CBS News poll, October
the Market: Equity v. Choice, p. 72.
1216, 2007, found 25 percent of Americans
choosing health care as the most important issue
326. Ibid, p. 69.
in this campaign, second only to 26 percent choos-
ing the war in Iraq. Similarly, an NBC/Wall Street
327. SiCKO, Dog Eat Dog Films, 2007.
Journal poll, November 15, found 16 percent
chose health care, second to the 26 percent who
328. "Edwards Campaign Unveils New `Underdog'
chose Iraq, http://www.pollingreport.com/priori
Television Ad in New Hampshire," John Edwards 08,
news release, January 6, 2008, http://www.johne
335. Schoen et al., "Toward Higher-Performance
Joel Zinberg, "Edwards' Evil Insurance Scam," New
York Post, January 10, 2008.
336. Disney et al., Impatient for Change.
329. Callahan and Wasunna, Medicine and the Market:
Equity v. Choice; Disney et al., Impatient for Change.
337. Richard Saltman and Josep Figueras, "Analyz-
ing the Evidence on European Health Care Re-
330. Robin Toner, "Unveiling Health Care 2.0,
forms," Health Affairs, MarchApril 1998.
Again," New York Times, September 16, 2007.
338. Cited in Callahan and Wasunna, Medicine and
331. OECD, "OECD Health Data 2007: Statistics
the Market: Equity v. Choice, p. 91.
and Indicators for 30 countries."
339. "Cox Report on Financing Sustainable Health-
332. Quoted in Callahan and Wasunna, Medicine
care in Europe Presented to European Commission
and the Market: Equity v. Choice, p. 109.
Today," Medical News Today, February 13, 2007.
333. Cathy Schoen et al., "Toward Higher-
340. Hans Maarse, "The Privatization of Health
Performance Health Systems: Adults' Health Care
Care in Europe: An Eight Country Analysis," Jour-
Experiences in Seven Countries, 2007," Health
nal of Health Politics, Policy, and Law 3He1 (2006):
Affairs, October 31, 2007.
STUDIES IN THE POLICY ANALYSIS SERIES
Electronic Employment Eligibility Verification: Franz Kafka's Solution
to Illegal Immigration by Jim Harper (March 5, 2008)
Parting with Illusions: Developing a Realistic Approach to Relations
with Russia by Nikolas Gvosdev (February 29, 2008)
Learning the Right Lessons from Iraq by Benjamin H. Friedman,
Harvey M. Sapolsky, and Christopher Preble (February 13, 2008)
What to Do about Climate Change by Indur M. Goklany (February 5, 2008)
Cracks in the Foundation: NATO's New Troubles by Stanley Kober
(January 15, 2008)
The Connection between Wage Growth and Social Security's Financial
Condition by Jagadeesh Gokhale (December 10, 2007)